Sunday 2 March 2014

Hapshash and the Coloured Coat - Dragons and Magic(k) - Addendum the Second



So how do you search for a specific but un-named image? A dragon, say, but not just any dragon. Well google search gave me lots of dragons, many as tatoos, but none were the dragon from the cover of Albion and the Jimi Hendrix at the Fillmore Auditorium poster.
     Back to first principles: I had quoted Michael English as saying:

       I was fascinated by the sinous yet romantic shapes found in Mucha's posters and the work of  Beardsley and Rackham

This was the clue: I would look for dragons in Mucha's art. And I found:


which clearly included the dragon I was looking for. Here is a close up:


It is clearly the original of the dragon on the Jimi Hendrix poster whereas the Albion cover had a mirror image version with more of a 'space monster' head. But the spines down the neck, the hands, the shoulders and wing shape were all identical.
     One final point: on the Albion cover, at the bottom left is a circular figure which contains the words: Hapshash and the Coloured Coat. So I feel that this cover is not a solo work by Michael English after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment